Monday 2 June 2014

Cave of Forgotten Dreams: A Found Poetry Adventure

Hey readers!  As some of you know, I'm in between drafts.  Yep, draft II is done and is somewhere out there being looked at by various powers that be.  This is exciting.  This is intense.  Life hangs in a balance. I have left my fate temporarily in the hands of others! AAAAH.

Anyhow, to maintain sanity and also keep the creative juices flowing, I went on a Found Poetry Adventure today.  For those of you who are new to found poetry, this is basically the art of finding words/phrases in the world (on signs, in advertisements, in books, in somebody else's poetry, etc. - anywhere really!) and rearranging them to make a poem.  I walked from Hampstead to Camden and made a note of different words/phrases that caught my eye.  Once I got home, I rearranged the words until they seemed to tell a story/make some kind of sense.  I'm no poet by any stretch of the imagination, but it was great fun to play with language in a way that I'm not used to.  I'd highly recommend this practice to anyone looking for a short, fun creative project to fill the space between larger writing projects (or even if you just need a small brain break from your MS).

Here's the result (and I'd love to see your results if you do this, too!):

Cave of Forgotten Dreams

The void

A wall of glass separated me                                    from the rest of the world*

Harmony - receive your free bottle at the edge of tomorrow!



For access to the elephant house, 
ring with two tings

I ran reading:

L'art de vivre en remontant la rivière** - 
Be careful at bends and entrances
Jam with the maniacs
Adopt an object
Get rich or try sharing the world's end

The wound is the place where the light enters you***

Nothing ever stays the same****



*/**** These phrases both came from Eva Schloss's memoir, which I'm reading at the moment, called After Auschwitz.
** Translation: "the art of living going back up the river"
***: This is a quote from Rumi

No comments:

Post a Comment